Monday, January 23, 2012

The Rules...

I just wanted to quickly post an introduction!  I'm really excited to start my meat-free month journey, and look forward to blogging about my journey.  I was inspired to take on a more plant-based diet after watching and reading Forks Over Knives.  If you have not seen this documentary or read the book, I highly recommend it!  It is available on Hulu+.  I am also a fan of Supersize me and Jamie Oliver's food revolution, which don't necessarily promote a plant-based diet, but definitely make you think twice about eating highly processed foods or meat products.

Here are the five goals I have come up with for myself during my meat-free month.

#1.  Absolutely no red meat, poultry, pork or related animal products (broths or gravies)

#2.  Dairy, butter, cheese, eggs and fish are okay, but should be limited.  Certain days will be designated as complete "vegan" days, where I will only eat a plant-based, whole foods diet.

#3.  I must try new foods, products, and new ways of preparing and cooking foods.  For example, I have not had eggplant in a very long time, but know there are many ways it can be used in a vegetarian diet.  I have never tried quinoa, and would really like to!  I also plan on trying various vegan products, such as egg substitutes, meatless products, and dairy substitutes like almond milk and soy.

#4.  I plan on keeping track of my grocery list and money spent.  I think there is a misconception that it's more expensive to be vegetarian, vegan, or eat a healthy diet.  While convenience foods are cheaper, I believe that I can eat healthier and meat-free without spending too much more than what I normally would.

#5.  I plan on keeping track of my foods eaten and the nutritional value of those foods.  I think there is a misconception that meat is required in a diet to ensure a person is completely healthy and receiving all the proper nutrients needed in a day.  I think it is possible for me to receive the recommended daily values of protein and various other vitamins and nutrients without having to eat meat.  Of course, however, because I am pregnant, I will be taking a prenatal vitamin which ensures I do receive the proper nutrition needed to grow a human :)  When daily nutritional values are computed and reported, my supplements will be left out of the final total, and you will be seeing just the nutritional values of the foods I've eaten that day.

If you have any questions or input, please feel free to contact me!  Thank you!!


2 comments:

  1. You can do it! I'm trying to be better too! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to sharing this journey thru your blog! I have no doubt you will accomplish all your goals!

    ReplyDelete