Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Day 1... I'm STUFFED!

Well day one went well!!! I got a very LARGE crate of veggies from a local farmer for very cheap.  I'm currently researching recipes & things to DO with all those veggies so please, if you have anything for radishes or turnips, send them my way lol!  I'm going to cook off some collard greens tonight to freeze, and then try to figure out what the other green leafy veggie is that was stuffed in there with them.  I also got a bunch of carrots, broccoli (that is absolutely divine!!!), romaine, spinach, red potatoes, sweet potatoes, tomatoes and cilantro (which is great because I was going to make some more salsa.  I think that covers everything!  It was fantastic and I look forward to getting more of the same veggies in two weeks.

I kept track of my food today, but I think the totals are a little off.  Mostly because I didn't exactly measure out everything to the T... so I am not to worried about the nutrients that are lacking, or the things that are over the top.  Here's what I ate, followed by my totals for the day.

Breakfast:

  • a bowl full of frosted flakes with fat free milk.
  • a large mug of coffee with sugar and fat free creamer
Lunch:
  • About 10-12 reduced fat crackers with sharp white cheese slices and mustard (yum!!) 
  • one Morningstar farms mini corn "dog" (Caulen gobbled up the other three I made!)
  • a Yoplait light yogurt cup
Dinner:
  • Gorton's garlic and herb fish (1 piece)
  • Cooked brown rice (about a cup)
  • steamed broccoli (about 1/2 a cup)
Snacks:
  • 1 red apple
  • about 1/2 a cup of trail mix (almonds, peanuts, raisins, cashews, and chocolate pieces)
Drinks:
  • vitamin waters, iced tea, and plain water.  (These weren't included in my logs)
Calories Consumed:  1467  (Recommendations are based off of a 2000 cal per day diet)
Fat: 51.3g (Rec: 65g)
Saturated Fat: 22.4 grams  (Rec: 20g)
Carbs: 199.6g (Rec: 300g)
Fiber: 10.6g (Rec: 25g)
Protein: 55.4g (Rec: 50g)
Cholesterol: 116mg (Rec: 300g)
Sodium: 1912mg (Rec: 2400mg)
Sugar: 76.2g  (this is largely because of my breakfast lol!)  
Calorie BreakdownL  15% protein, 54% carbs, 31% fat.

Generally, I think I did pretty good for my first day.  The big thing I'm looking at is my protein intake, because THAT is what people give me the most grief about.  I've heard a number of times "You need meat to meet proper protein levels in your diet."  Obviously, that's not the case.  I met the recommended daily intake of protein after lunch I believe.  However, being pregnant, I have read that it's recommended I increase my protein intake to 60-70 grams a day.  Being only 5 grams off doesn't worry me, especially when I'm sure my tracker isn't completely accurate.

In addition to the protein intake, I often get told to watch my Vitamin B12.  This is less of a worry for me, because B12 is known to stay in your body for a very long time and is released when needed.  I think I read somewhere that it takes 15-20 years for a person to go completely B12 deficient.  But, regardless, my prenatal vitamin provides me with 50% of my recommended daily allowance of B12, and my morning cereal is fortified with 35% of the recommended daily allowance of B12 as well.  I'm sure that the yogurt and cheese I ate today also contained enough B12 for me to meet my 100% daily allowance of B12.

Overall, today was easy!  I didn't expect the "hard parts" to come until much later on, though.  One set back I did encounter today was the thought of preparing my collard greens tonight.  I plan on using chicken broth to prepare them, but I think I'll prepare them and freeze them for later on, if I can find a decent recipe.  I'm not a huge fan of vegetable broth.... so I'm unsure about using any vegan recipes that I've found that suggest using it.  Other than that, it was a great first day! 


1 comment:

  1. Good job. A segment on Rachel Ray today was how to store fresh veggies -- blanch & freeze in freeze bags. There may be more info on her website. She also did a veggie pasta dish.

    ReplyDelete